The Char Dham Yatra in Uttrakhand is one of the most popular Hindu pilgrimage tours in India. It consists of visiting four holy sites – Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri – located in the Himalayan region of the Indian state of Uttarakhand. This pilgrimage is believed to bring salvation, peace, and good luck to all who visit these sacred sites.
Here is a list of the top 10 places not to be missed when planning Char Dham Yatra in Uttarakhand :
1. Badrinath: This is the most important of the four holy sites and is situated in the Garhwal Himalayas at an altitude of 3,133 m. It is revered as the abode of Lord Vishnu and is one of the most beautiful places in Uttarakhand.
2. Kedarnath: This is the second most important holy site, located at an altitude of 3,584 m. It is the place where Lord Shiva is believed to have appeared in the form of a bull and is considered the holiest among the four sites.
3. Gangotri: This is the source of the sacred river Ganges and is located at an altitude of 3,200 m above sea level. It is believed to be the place where Goddess Ganga descended from heaven.
4. Yamunotri: This is the source of the river Yamuna and is situated at an altitude of 3,293 m. It is believed to be the home of Goddess Yamuna and is an important pilgrimage site for Hindus.
5. Hemkund Sahib: This is a Sikh religious site located at an altitude of 4,632 m and is surrounded by seven snow–capped peaks.
6. Valley of Flowers: This is a beautiful valley in the Himalayas, located at an altitude of 3,658 m. It is home to a variety of exotic flowers and is a popular trekking destination.
7. Haridwar: This is one of the most important holy cities in Uttarakhand, located on the banks of the river Ganges. It is believed to be the place where the holy Ganges descended from heaven.
8. Rishikesh: This is a popular spiritual and yoga destination located on the banks of the river Ganges. It is home to numerous temples, ashrams, and yoga centers.
9. Tehri Lake: This is a popular upcoming destination located near the Chamba town. It is one of the biggest dams in the country with a very beautiful lake and is a popular tourist destination for water sport activities.
10. Auli: This is a popular ski destination located at an altitude of 2,519 m. It is surrounded by snow–capped peaks and is a popular destination for skiing and trekking. The Char Dham Yatra in Uttrakhand is a life–changing pilgrimage journey that should be experienced at least once in a lifetime. There are numerous places to visit in Uttrakhand and these are the top 10 places that should not be missed when planning your Char Dham Yatra.